Hugh began his career in Real Estate as the Research Director for Paragon Properties, one of the largest commercial real estate brokerage ﬁrms in Austin. Hugh advanced his career as a Financial Analyst in the Land Management Division of Nash Phillips/Copus, the largest homebuilder in the state. In 1997, Hugh accepted a position with the Balcor Company in Skokie, Illinois as a Senior Underwriter for acquisitions and underwrote approximately $100 million of investments in apartments, ofﬁce buildings, mini-warehouses and mobile home parks. While with Balcor, Hugh relocated to assist with the $35 million renovation of the Mall of the Americas, beginning his career in real estate development. This experience led to his appointment as Director of Development with Goodman Segar Hogan in 1989. While at GSH, Hugh was the lead developer and landed several retail construction and renovation projects with a value in excess of $25 million. Projects included: Newmarket Fair Mall in Hampton, Southern Shopping Center and Roosevelt Gardens Center in Norfolk, and several other residential and retail projects throughout Hampton Roads. Hugh joined Liberty Property Trust in 1994 and participated in the acquisition, development and leasing of over $120 million in projects. Hugh’s primary responsibilities included the development of 10 ofﬁce, industrial and data center projects. Hugh formed EMPIRE DEVELOPMENT in 2000 and has assisted a wide range of clients with over a dozen projects totaling more than $25 million. Hugh’s efforts include development, brokerage and consulting services for retail, ofﬁce and ofﬁce/ service properties from Hampton Roads to Fredericksburg, VA.
1983, Bachelor of Business Administration with a double major in Real Estate and Urban Land Development & Data Processing and Analysis, The University of Texas at Austin
PROFESSIONAL & CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Greater Richmond Association of Commercial Real Estate, President 1998, Board Member 1996–1999
- Hampton Roads Association of Commercial Real Estate, Board Member 2002– Present, Design Awards Master of Ceremonies 2002–2004, Public Relations Co-Chair 2003–Present.
- Virginia Association of Commercial Real Estate, 1995–1998
- Virginia Economic Developers Association
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce
- Tidewater Association of Realtors, Commercial Council Afﬁliate Member
- Junior Achievement Board of Directors 2002–Present, Junior Achievement Instructor 1990–Present, Virginia Beach Central Academy Volunteer of the Year, 2002
Email me: email@example.com